The purpose of this article is to walk you through sign for Fareclock service and installing the Fareclock app on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device.
Firstly, make sure you adhere to the System Requirements.
I. Sign up for Fareclock
From the www.fareclock.com home page, click on the 'SIGN UP" link in the row of tabs near the top of the page. That will take you a sign up form. You have the option to either enter your email address and create a password, or to login via one of our supported login providers (as of the date this article was written, the supported providers are Google and Yahoo). If you choose to login via an external login provider, then click on the associated icon near the bottom of the form, and login. If you choose to create a password directly with Fareclock, or after you login to your provider, you'll need to fill out all form fields, agree to Terms of Service, and click the "Submit" button.
You'll then see a notice that an activation email was sent to your email address. Check your email, and click on the enclosed activation link. This will activate your login. From there, you'll be prompted to complete registration by choosing your subscription plan, specifying various options, and entering billing information. After successfully submitting billing information, you'll be redirected to the Admin Console.
The Admin Console is where you configure your service account; manage clocks, employees and punches; print reports; and more. To begin with, you'll want to add some employees. You can also add other administrators to share management of the Fareclock service, as well as configure additional time clock devices.
II. Set up Fareclock app on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
To set up your Apple device, you'll want to do the following:
- Install iTunes
- Connect device to computer via USB cable
- In iTunes, update device to latest version of IOS
- Set up WiFi.
- Set up iCloud to enable Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod (may need to register Apple ID account).
- Turn off Auto Lock (so that screen does not shut off when not in use).
- Go the App Store, search for the app called "Fareclock", and install it.
- Clean up the home screen by collecting all other apps on the device into one or more folders. Put the Fareclock app on the bottom home screen row, so that it shows on every screen.
- Restrict use of device (e.g., web surfing, installing apps, etc.) by going to Settings ==> General ==> Restrictions, and enable the restrictions you deem necessary. Make sure you note the Restrictions Passcode you specified when enabling Restrictions.
- On iPad, go to Settings ==> General, and turn off Multitasking Gestures.
- Start Fareclock app. Log in using same login credentials in the beginning of this article. Specify organization unit and clock, and save.
- Place device in desired place for employee use. If you want to use it in a fixed location:
- iPad: iPad Enclosure and Wall Mount with Security Lock, available for purchase from MacLocks.com. Note that this device does have a small pinhole in which someone could stick a pin to push home button. If this is a concern, you could cover the home button with something like a Plastic Collar Stay to prevent unauthorized access. The enclosure should prevent removal of this cover.
- iPod Touch: Strata Micro iPod Enclosure, available for purchase from iPadEnclosures.com.
- Make sure the room lighting is sufficient and consistent when using Fareclock. If it is not, you might want to consider getting a low-wattage lamp to shine on employees' faces. Here is one that works pretty well.
- Congratulations! You are now live on Fareclock!