By default, all Fareclock accounts have basic Geo Location tracking so you can view on a map where your workers are clocking IN and OUT.
Geo fences are an additional feature which allows you to restrict where a worker is allowed to clock IN (e.g., within 1 km of 123 Main Street, etc.). If an employee tries to clock IN outside this geo fence, the punch will be rejected.
You can create multiple conditions for geo fences:
- Device - All punches on a certain time clock device must obey the geo fences set up for it, unless overridden by another geo fence condition below.
- Shifts - You can set geo fences for all punches on particular shift class. If not set, it will default to the device settings.
- Jobs - You can set separate geo fence policies on each job, and even different policies for clocking IN and for clocking OUT. These policies take priority over the device and shift geo fences.
To get started, first make sure you have basic Geo Location tracking enabled. Go in the Admin Console to Settings => Devices => Defaults => Geo Settings, and configure you preferences:
To create a geo fence, go to Settings => Devices => Geo Fences, and create your fences. A geo fence looks as follows:
To set the Geofence Region, click the Edit link, and a Geolocation selection window will open:
In this window, you can enter an address and/or navigate the map and drag the red marker to your desired location for the geo fence.
Then drag the Geofence Range slider to the amount of distance you want to allow within the geo fence. Alternatively, you can drag the edge of the green circle on the map to configure the range. Keep in mind that sometime GPS sensors can be inaccurate, so you may want to leave some for error. When you're done, click on the "Confirm location" button.
Next, you'll need to assign your geo fence to appropriate events:
1) Device - Go to Settings => Devices, and assign geo fences to a device.
2) Shifts - See our schedule help article for more on this.
3) Jobs - Go to Settings => Costing, enable Costing Mode, and assign geo fences to a job.
Note that each of these options allows you to set up multiple geo fences, e.g., if you want, you can allow a worker to clock IN/OUT at multiple geo locations.
To review the mapped location of a punch, go to Manage => Punches or Time Cards and view the punch. If you allow punches outside of geofence to be silently flagged, then the punches will be flagged there as well as in reports for your review and/or approval.
You can also conveniently review all your punches on a map by going to Manage => Geo Mapping.
You can zoom in on individual punches by clicking on either the punch in the list on the left, or the marker on the map: