Costing is an optional set of features which enables you to one or more of the following:
- define a list of jobs for which employees may select one when clocking IN.
- enhanced job classifications, using job categories, job phases, and cost codes
Costing is available on all account plans.
II. Set up
We'll walk you through here how to set up the costing features so you can use them in your business.
First, you'll want to enable the costing features, which is disabled by default. To do that, log in to the Admin Console at https://www.fareclock.com/console. From there, click on 'Settings' in the top menu bar, and then select Costing. You should see the following:
You'll first want to enable the feature by selecting the Costing mode menu. There are two options to enable costing:
- Simple - This mode allows you to enable a job list for which employees clock IN.
- Enhanced - This mode enables more complex job classification, including job categories, jobs phases, and code codes.
After you make your selection, make sure you click the green Save button.
After you've enabled Costing, either Simple or Enhanced, you should see a couple more options display on the screen as follows:
At the bottom are some checkbox options, including:
- Job selection required to clock IN - If checked, the may not clock IN without selecting a job. Conversely, if left unchecked, the employee will have the option to clock IN either into a job or not.
- Job transfer enabled on time clock - Job transfer allows an employee who is already clocked IN to immediately transfer to a different job. If left unchecked, a clocked IN employee only has the option to clock OUT. Of course, the employee could afterwards clock back IN to a different job, but job transfer lets them do that in one step rather than two.
The heart of Costing is the Jobs list. To go the list, click on the Jobs icon at the top. You should see a screen list as follows:
The job list will be empty. To add your first job, click the (+) icon in the blue bar at the top of the empty list. This will open an edit view as follows:
There are a lot of options here you can configure:
(i) Basic Information
- Name - Required
(ii) Extra information
- Department access - Optional. Specifies which employee department this job can be used for.
- Organization Unit Access - Which device org units this job can be used for.
- Payroll ID - Optional. Used in payroll exports to link to 3rd party systems.
- Description - Optional. Extra text to display in job list on time clock.
- IN/OUT Geo fences - Optional. Geo fences to allow when clocking IN and/or OUT of job. If unspecified, will inherit from clock default or shift.
- Labels - Optional. You can assign labels to jobs, which you can use to filter in reports, as well as to create special pay code rules for certain jobs.
(ii) Enhanced Costing
- Job Category - Optional. Which category job belongs to.
- Job Phase Mode - Whether to enable or require job phase selection.
- Cost Code Mode - Whether to enable or require cost code selection.
(iv) Shift Overrides - Optional. Create a shift schedule for this job. Overrides employee shift calendar.
D. Job Categories
If you enabled Enhanced costing mode, you'll be able to optionally set up Job Categories. To do so, click on the Job Categories tab at the top. You'll see the following:
You simply need to give the Job Category a name, and optionally a Payroll ID for exports. Then save.
You'll then want to go to your job list, and assign each job to a category where needed. Note that this is optional. You only have to assign a job to a category where you want. The employee clocking IN will be able to filter jobs by categories or view all jobs. You'll also be able to run reports which break down jobs by category.
E. Job Phases
If you enabled Enhanced costing mode, you'll be able to optionally set up Job Phases. To do so, click on the Job Phases tab at the top. You'll see the following:
Besides specifying the name and optional Payroll ID, you can also optionally specify the Job Phase to be used only for a particular Job or Job Category. If you specify the Job Phase for a particular Job or Job Category, you will still need to enable Job Phase Mode for each job you want them used for.
F. Cost Codes
If you enabled Enhanced costing mode, you'll be able to optionally set up Cost Codes. To do so, click on the Cost Codes tab at the top. You'll see the following:
III. Time Clock
On the time clock, after an employee logs in, he/she will see a screen as follows:
When you set up your costing defaults, if you enabled "Job selection requires to clock IN", then the simple "Clock-in" button will not appear. The employee will only have the option to "Clock-in to Job". Also, if there are no jobs which exist for the clock's org unit and employee's department, then there will only appear the "Clock-in" button regardless of any other settings.
If the employee taps on "Clock-in to Job", then the following workflow will appear:
If you've only enabled Simple costing mode, or if any of the costing lists is not enabled for this employee, then only the relevant lists in the workflow will appear.
- Job Categories - If employee selects a job category, then the subsequent job list will only show jobs for that category. But if employee taps on the Skip button at the top right of the job categories list, then all jobs will appear.
- Job - Employee must select a job.
- Job Phases - If there are job phases for that job, then this list will appear. Whether the employee will have the option to Skip job phase selection and move on in the workflow, depends on whether you had set the job's Job Phase Mode to Require.
- Cost Codes - If there are cost codes for that job, then this list will appear. Whether the employee will have the option to Skip cost code selection and move on in the workflow, depends on whether you had set the job's Cost Code Mode to Require.
There are several reports which display costing information:
A. Time Cards - Can display Job and Pay Codes for each employee's labor hours, with options to export to your 3rd party payroll system. To display these columns, they must be moved from the Hidden to the Visible box of the Columns tab in Report Settings, as follows:
B. Roll Call - Can display Job for each employee currently clocked IN.
C. Raw Punches - Can display Job for each punch.
D. Totals - This report gives you the most options for calculating Costing numbers. You can group totals in any number of ways as follows:
For example, if you want to group by Job Category, then Job, Job Phase and Cost Code, it would look like this: